Thursday, April 9, 2009

Deity


Often, in this blog, I will use the terms, the universe, the powers that be, source energy, universal force...all alternative names for what is commonly known as God. I'm not comfortable with the term God, as all inclusive of the divine. It's not that I don't believe in a sacred entity...I do. The word, God, for me, conjures up images of a man, sitting on a big throne, in a place often called, heaven. It makes God seem very far away.

I don't relate to the concept of God as a being. I see deity as more of a force, or source of divine energy, running through all that is. I don't see source as separate from, but a part of, everything. I do believe calling upon aspects of source energy, in the form of gods and goddesses, to be useful in certain circumstances, such as prayer or meditation. After all, these archetypes are aspects of source energy.

There was a time, many millennia ago, when the ancients worshipped both masculine and feminine aspects of the sacred. They saw this reflected everywhere in nature, which is, I believe to be source's premier way of showing itself to us. I must confess to resenting the newer religions all but eradicating the sacred feminine. I believe this has created a tremendous imbalance in the world...one which is slowly being righted.

I believe everyone has the right to their beliefs, providing they do not harm anyone. What works for one person may not work for another. I respect that. Learning to stay connected to the sacred source is such a big part of who I am, as I know it is for so many others, regardless of what name it is given.


Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. You and I are on the same page. That tree looks like a dancer! Beautiful.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete