Monday, April 13, 2009

Trees



My new yard has trees! I haven't had trees since I lived on Long Island, 15 years ago. I so began to miss trees living in New Mexico. It's not that there are no trees in New Mexico, just not very many where I lived. The man next door had three young trees along our property line. They were just large enough to provide a bit of shade on the east side of the house. The shade they offered allowed me to plant a very small flower garden under their protection. Well, one day, I hear a noise...some type of machine sound...outside my east facing bedroom. I go to the front door, open it to see if my worst fear is coming true, and there he is - lopping off the limbs of all three trees. I asked him, "WHY?" He says they were getting too big and he couldn't take care of them. From then on, no little flower garden and, no more trees.

About two years ago, I decided I must have trees. I needed some lushness (don't think that's a word) in my life. When my husband and I went house hunting, green was my number one priority. We didn't want a huge yard, but we wanted some grass and trees. We found, what I think is the perfect place. Our backyard looks like a small park! Grass, trees! It makes me so happy. We moved in last August. This is our first spring in Colorado. It is fantastic to watch new life unfolding all around me. Little perennials are beginning to grow. I'm not sure what any of them are yet...little gifts waiting to be unwrapped.

Today, I bought two hanging planters, twelve purple petunias, potting soil, and a watering can. I planted the flowers in the pots and hung them from the grape arbor in the yard. Yes, we even have grapes! I plan to create a moon garden. Most of the flowers will be white. All will be fragrant in the evening. Some flowers will only open under the cover of darkness...mysterious and lovely. It will take planning and patience to get it right. It will probably take a few years before it all comes together. That's OK. I've got time.

1 comment: