Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Respite


Well, I've been on vacation for almost two weeks now, and I'm starting to get into my summer rhythm. I'm not always waking at 5:30am and I feel like staying up past 9pm. It feels like more of a natural cycle. My stress level is going down, which is always a good thing.

I find I miss the kids...much more than I thought I would. I realized, this morning, that I now know over 100 teenagers in this town! It makes me feel more a part of the community knowing I know people.

I love not having to rush around in the morning. I lay in bed and listen to the birds until I feel like getting up. This is the summer I am going to begin nurturing my body and soul. I'm going to do things that feed me, and I'm not talking about spending a lot of time with Little Debbie ( oh, how I love those nasty little cakes.) I'm going to read, write, relax, spend time with people I care about, make new friends, and learn new things.

I've begun organizing my house...it's a big job. Much of our stuff is still unpacked, in the garage. Every time I bring in something familiar, it feels more like home. I want my house to be clean enough that I can invite people over without hesitation. I know, in the past, I've used the messy house thing to keep myself isolated.

So, I've begun taking care of myself, a little bit at a time... one task at a time. That way, life doesn't seem so overwhelming. So far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! There is something so healing about following one's natural rhythms - at least sometimes - instead of the rhythms of job-family-modern life, etc.

    Bird song is essential. I don't know how people can live without taking time to listen in to that particular symphony.

    Taking care of yourself? I am FOR it! YES!!

    ReplyDelete